Volunteer Dementia Helpline Assistant – Suffolk
Are you a good listener? Would you like to offer support to people in Suffolk affected by dementia?
Sure Ryder is looking for volunteers to support the area of Suffolk Dementia Helpline. The helpline provides emotional support and a place for people to talk about their experiences and feelings in confidence.
There are volunteering opportunities both during office hours as well as evenings with the option of working from home. We provide comprehensive training, all you need is the ability to listen and the desire to support people affected by dementia.
As part of the team you will:
- Answer incoming calls in a professional manner
- Provide emotional support to callers without disclosing personal information
- Actively listen to the caller
- Show empathy to the caller and respond sensitively
- Keep a written log of the nature and duration of all calls
- Inform the on-call supervisor of a particularly challenging or concerning calls
Ideally we’ll need you to do at least 1 shift every fortnight
Skills and Experience
For this role, you will need to have
- Good active listening skills and the ability to communicate clearly, particularly over the telephone
- Respect for other people’s points of views
- The ability to cope with feelings in potentially emotional situations
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and compliance with policies and procedures at all times
- Time to participate in regular group and one to one supervision
- The desire to be involved in a service supporting those affected by dementia and their carers
The exciting new volunteer role provides an opportunity to work with nationally recognised organisations and to be involved in developing a service that will genuinely make a difference to people life’s.
If you are volunteering over 4 hours in one day, lunch will be provided and reasonable travel costs may be reimbursed, with prior agreement.
We will give you the training and support that you need and you’ll be sure that your efforts make a genuine difference to people living with the challenges of life-limiting conditions.
To apply please call 0147 3295 200