SLV.Global Operations Manager
SLV Operations Manager
Responsible to: Head of Operations & Directors
Responsible for: Local & International Project Coordinators, Volunteers
Salary: £12,000 – £21,000 accommodation stipend & flights provided
Location: Sri Lanka, Colombo/Indonesia, Bali
Contract: Minimum 18 months Start date early 2017
Introduction: SLV.Global is a graduate led organisation that provides degree-specific volunteer placements in Sri Lanka and Indonesia. Our placements offer people the chance to gain psychology-focused work experience in addition to teaching English, coaching sports, working with children and with people with special needs.
We offer project and cultural awareness training, leadership opportunities, and encourage volunteers to contribute to the continued growth and development of the team and its projects. The SLV.Global team strives to make a positive, responsible, and sustainable impact in the communities it volunteers in.
Summary of the Role: As part of the Project Management team you are responsible for delivering SLV.Global’s Placements to the highest possible standard. The role involves the day-to-day operational planning and management, including safety, logistics, transport, overall training, planning and delivery of specific sessions, managing volunteer staff and managing relationships with projects. The jobholder will act as the link to London head office with regards the operation and delivery of the placements and events relating to it, including safety and security. The role is directly line managed by the Head of Operations in the UK.
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities
• Run SLV.Global placements recognising the SLV.Global's vision, ethos and values maximising the experience for all volunteer coordinators and participants.
• Ensure placements meet agreed standards and any contractual obligations, whether they be with individuals, projects, partner NGOs or governmental organisations.
• Lead operational project planning, reporting and management under the guidance of the International Project Managers.
• Maintain day to day delivery relationships with partner organisations to ensure the operational delivery of the placements.
• Lead organisation of training and contribute to the delivery of training for volunteers and volunteer managers as required.
• In conjunction with the Head of Operations for strategic decision making relating to all SLV.Global programmes with emphasis on project level risk assessments.
• Coordinate and control day to day management of the plan and response to incidents
• Take lead in managing and supporting the volunteer coordinators and supervisors so that they can achieve SLV.Global’s aims. This will include team building, briefing, providing advice and guidance, and giving practical training and moral support and supervision.
• Contribute to and ensure effective, timely and efficient communications with UK Head Office.
• Manage transport arrangements
• Lead on daily communication with volunteer teams
• Organise the weekly timetables for volunteers on placement
Skills and Experience Essential
• Strong people management skills and experience of managing groups of between 40 to 200 abroad, preferably in Asia.
• Strong project planning skills and a proven track record of project delivery
• A good understanding and experience of international development, environmental and sustainable development issues and the ability to enthuse others on the issues and contribute to strategic planning
• Proven ability to deliver high quality training and experiential learning in an effective and safe way for youth and adult audiences using a variety of media and styles to maximise learning and outcomes
• Experience of working with and motivating volunteers from different backgrounds, nationalities and ages
• Experience of working in a different culture from that of your home nation
• Experience of working with and developing young people
• People focused with excellent communication, facilitation and diplomatic skills with the ability to lead by example, demand excellence and adapt their leadership style to the situation
• Ability to motivate and support staff to achieve success consistently
• Have high levels of integrity and sound judgement
• Be a strong and flexible team player
• The ability to deal with conflict and overcome challenges
• Excellent planning and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and organise a heavy workload, work autonomously on own initiative both reactively and proactively.
• Fluent in oral and written English
• Good IT literacy (Microsoft Office suite and databases)
• Previous experience of delivering community development of a similar scale to SLV.Global
• Previous experience either with SLV.Global International or a similar organisation at volunteer manager/team leader level or of similar responsibility
• Experience of working long hours required to achieve the aims and objectives of the role
• Understanding and experience of managing groups in remote environments
• Working knowledge of the mental health sector at home or abroad