International Operations Assistant
International Operations Assistant
Responsible to: Head of Operations & Directors
Responsible for: Communication between London HQ and all international branches of SLV.Global
Salary: Experience Dependent
Location: London + Sri Lanka, Colombo/Indonesia, Bali
Contract: Minimum 2 years
Introduction: SLV.Global is a graduate led organisation that provides degree-specific volunteer placements in Sri Lanka and Indonesia. Our placements offer people the chance to gain psychology-focused work experience in addition to teaching English, coaching sports, working with children and with people with special needs.
We offer project and cultural awareness training, leadership opportunities, and encourage volunteers to contribute to the continued growth and development of the team and its projects. The SLV.Global team strives to make a positive, responsible, and sustainable impact in the communities it volunteers in.
Summary of the Role: As part of the Project Management team you are responsible for liaising with our in-country teams to ensure we are delivering SLV.Global’s placements to the highest possible standard. The role involves the day-to-day operational planning and management support, including safety, logistics, transport, overall training. The jobholder will act as the link between London head office and our overseas teams with regards the operation and delivery of the placements and events relating to it, including safety and security. The role is directly line managed by the Head of Operations in the UK.
This role requires working abroad for approximately three months of the year in at least one of the overseas locations where we run our placements.
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide advice on how to run SLV.Global placements recognising the SLV.Global's vision, ethos and values maximising the experience for all volunteer coordinators and participants.
- Recruiting for all overseas senior voluntary support positions
- Ensure placements meet agreed standards and any contractual obligations, whether they be with individuals, projects, partner NGOs or governmental organisations.
- Communicate weekly with the various in-country teams to relay important head office information
- Ensure the operational delivery of the placements.
- Lead organisation of training and contribute to the delivery of training for volunteers and volunteer managers as required.
- In conjunction with the Head of Operations for strategic decision making relating to all SLV.Global programmes with emphasis on project level risk assessments.
- Coordinate and control day to day management of the plan and response to incidents
- Take lead in managing and supporting the volunteer coordinators and supervisors so that they can achieve SLV.Global’s aims. This will include team building, briefing, providing advice and guidance, and giving practical training and moral support and supervision.
- Contribute to and ensure effective, timely and efficient communications with in-country teams
- Assess and relay volunteer feedback to in-country teams
Skills and Experience Essential
- Strong people management skills and experience of managing groups of between 40 to 200 abroad, preferably in Asia.
- Strong project planning skills and a proven track record of project delivery
- A good understanding and experience of international development, environmental and sustainable development issues and the ability to enthuse others on the issues and contribute to strategic planning
- Proven ability to deliver high quality training and experiential learning in an effective and safe way for youth and adult audiences using a variety of media and styles to maximise learning and outcomes
- Experience of working with and motivating volunteers from different backgrounds, nationalities and ages
- Experience of working in a different culture from that of your home nation
- Experience of working with and developing young people
- People-focused with excellent communication, facilitation and diplomatic skills with the ability to lead by example, demand excellence and adapt their leadership style to the situation
- Ability to motivate and support staff to achieve success consistently
- Have high levels of integrity and sound judgement
- Be a strong and flexible team player
- The ability to deal with conflict and overcome challenges
- Excellent planning and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and organise a heavy workload, work autonomously on own initiative both reactively and proactively.
- Fluent in oral and written English
- Good IT literacy (Microsoft Office suite and databases)
- Previous experience of delivering community development of a similar scale to SLV.Global
- Experience of working long hours required to achieve the aims and objectives of the role
- Understanding and experience of managing groups in remote environments
- Working knowledge of the mental health sector at home or abroad
Send your CV on through to Charley@slv.global. There will be a two-step interview process. Initially a chat with a senior member of the team followed by coming into the office for a face-to-face and a short task to complete. We are looking to hire ASAP if you’ve got the goods. Applications will be closed Friday 4th August, 2017.