Happy Thanksgiving - Pumpkin Curry Sri Lanka Recipe
In 2013 the SLV team received our first Volunteers from the USA. We were pleased to welcome volunteers form Harvard, Emory University, Santa Clara and New York University and we look forward to many more joining us in Sri Lanka.
As its Thanksgiving we are sharing the ‘secret recipe’ from one of our homestay families.
Amma's famous Pumpkin Curry or "Wattakka” Curry.
This Pumpkin curry (wattakka curry) is mild spicy and cooked using green chili instead of red chili. Therefore the appearance is yellowish.
- 250g Pumpkin
- 2-3 green chilli sliced lengthwise
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Piece of cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Milk – for those of us not lucky enough to have a coconut tree in our garden 1 can of coconut milk will be great.
- 1 tspn sugar (optional)
Ingredients for the coconut paste
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3 tbspn grated coconut. Fresh is better but only if you have it.
- ½ tsp black peppercorn
- Wash pumpkin, remove the seeds & cut into pieces.
- Add all the spices together with green chili, onion & curry leaves.
- Mix all & add thin coconut milk & allow to cook in medium flame.
- Meanwhile grind the garlic, fresh grated coconut & pepper together into a paste.
- Once pumpkin is cooked add the coconut milk. Add salt to taste.
- Then add ground coconut, garlic & pepper paste on to it & mix well. This paste will make the sauce thicker.
- Simmer for few seconds & remove from the flame.
- Amma sometimes adds 1 tspn sugar to the curry if she feels its needed so I guess it is up to you.